To facilitate the development, promotion and nurturing of all art forms countrywide
To be a strong, effective, transparent and dynamic institution for the development and promotion of all art forms countrywide.
To regulate, co-ordinate, supervise and monitor all arts activities Countrywide.
The National Arts Council operates under Chapter 170,Act No. 31 of 1994 of the Laws of Zambia and statutory instruments 128 & 129 of 1995.The Council mandate in terms of Part II, section Five of Chapter 170, Act No. 31 of 1994 is as follows:
- Keeps itself fully appraised of the policy of the Government in matters concerning arts.
- Disseminates Government policies concerning the arts.
- Serves as the supreme advisory body at national level on policy and decisions on all forms of the arts in the country.
- Provides quality artistic leadership in performing, visual, media and literary arts.
- Develops, promotes, regulates and encourages all forms of amateur and professional arts on a national level, in conjunction with the associations and the Government.
- Assists in the formation of associations or organizations and to encourage them to register as national arts associations, to provide representation to different groups within the associations.
- Encourages the associations to be affiliated to appropriate international organizations.
- Assists financially or otherwise, any group or individual in representing Zambia in any artistic activity within or outside Zambia.
- Assists, financially or otherwise, together with the Government, any citizen of Zambia in obtaining relevant training within or outside Zambia.
- Ensures that art groups at all levels maintain proper accounts and, where considered necessary, supervise and direct the maintenance of these accounts.
- Regulates and provides modalities for the awarding of national honours for artistic merit.
- Regulates and monitors all National arts programmes presented in Zambia.
- Promotes the development and organization of the arts.